The Kokopelli Choir Association is an Edmonton-based family of choirs that provides young singers with opportunities for musical education, musical growth and public performance, and fosters connections among communities at home and abroad through choral music.
Our choirs are known for vibrant innovative performances that often combine traditional choral music with unconventional presentation. Incorporating movement, colour, energy, and passion, Kokopelli's choirs strive to push the boundaries of choral music education for children, youth, and young adults. Our repertoire ranges from the ancient to the avant garde and is drawn from traditions around the world.
In the 2014-2015 season, we were delighted to receive several honours, including first place (Kokopelli) and second place (Kikimasu) in the National Music Festival, and first place in the youth choir category (Kokopelli) in Choral Canada's National Competition for Canadian Amateur Choirs.
We have toured widely since our organization's inception in 1996, performing in Canada, the USA, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Malaysia, Cuba, Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, and Zambia. Highlights include:
- International Society of Music Educators in Bergen, Norway, 2002
- Festival 500 in St. John's, Newfoundland, 2005, 2011, 2013
- Podium (the biennial conference of Choral Canada), 2000, 2004, 2008, 2014
- Missoula International Choral Festival, 2013
- International Choral Kathaumixw, 2014
- Three tours to southern Africa, 2004, 2007, 2013
- American Choral Directors Association regional conventions, Salt Lake City 2006, and Seattle 2012
- Laval International Choral Festival, Laval, Québec, 2009
- Dresden International Children's Choir Festival, Germany, 2010
- Unisong festival in Ottawa, 1997, 2011
- Cuba, 2011
- Kaleid Festival in Ontario, 2012
- Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, and France in July 2012
- Canadian Music Educators Association, Winnipeg 2015